- Opening Year: 2003
- School Number: 1800
- Principal: Jayne Heath
- Deputy Principal: Glenys Thompson
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
The ASMS is a school for year 10-12 students who have an interest in science and mathematics. Our school is not a local school, students are invited to apply outlining their interest in science and mathematics, career pathways they are considering and our approaches to teaching and learning.
The ASMS serves as a statewide focal point for teaching and learning, professional learning and research aimed at fostering improvement, innovation and reform in Science and Mathematics education. The school develops new approaches to teaching and learning in Science and Mathematics through the creation of an environment for interaction between educators and professional scientists and mathematicians within institutions and industry in South Australia and beyond. The schools’ partnership with Flinders University is key to this collaborative work.
The ASMS is intended as a resource for every Department for Education school in the state through its programs of professional development and curriculum enhancement. Students and teachers from across South Australia are invited and encouraged to engage in ASMS outreach programs.
Teachers from around the state are able to work alongside ASMS staff in the ongoing development of the curriculum and teaching and assessment strategies. This work also informs the review and planning of professional learning activities.
- Responds to current and future interests and needs of its students to establish models of excellence in science and mathematics education
- Provides a learning environment of leading edge and enterprise oriented science, mathematics and technology
- Provides a learning culture for its students that derives from the learning culture of its staff, which in turn derives from their interaction with university and industry scientists and educators
- Is an agency for change and enhancement of science and mathematics education for the state of South Australia and then nationally and internationally
- Prepares young people to be creative, critical, informed and motivated contributors responding to professional, personal and social issues
- ASMS to increase participation and success of senior secondary students in science, mathematics and related technologies and transforms students’ attitudes to science and mathematics as career paths
- 41 Teaching Staff
- 15 Support Staff
- 2013 366 students with up to 30 of these being international students (years 10, 11, 12)
- 2014 348 students with up to 30 of these being international students (years 10, 11, 12)
- 2015 387 students with up to 30 of these being international students (years 10, 11, 12)
- 2016 388 students with up to 30 of these being international students (years 10, 11, 12)
- 2017 370 students with up to 30 of these being international students (years 10, 11, 12)
- 2018 384 students with up to 30 of these being international students (years 10, 11, 12)