Welcome back for Term 2!
The Department for Education and Child Development (DECD) are looking for willing families to host international high school students commencing their studies in a South Australian government school in Term 3, 2016. You can choose to host a student for a period of time that best suits your family:
- 1-4 terms (short term Study Abroad students)
- 1-5 years (longer term Graduate Program students)
DECD are always looking for families who live close to our accredited schools and would love to hear from you!
What does it take to be a homestay?
There is no such thing as a typical homestay family. You can be single, a couple, family with children, an empty nester or retiree. Whoever you are, what’s most important is that you take care of our students.
What will your family learn by hosting a student?
Every family gets something different from the experience. There is no doubt you will learn a lot about a new culture, food, language, customs and traditions, but you will also have the chance to:
- participate in activities and meet other host families
- be a tourist in your own town and State as you show your student around
- make lifelong friendships with your student and their family
Looking after someone else’s son or daughter is a big responsibility but it is not one you will have to face alone. We will provide you with:
- a personalised home visit and information session
- a homestay allowance ($250 per week)
- a homestay handbook
- homestay newsletters
- an invite to homestay workshops covering a variety of relevant topics
- an invite to the annual DECD homestay picnic for families and students
- an exciting range of homestay activities and giveaways
- ongoing support via our homestay accommodation team
- 24 hour emergency telephone support service
Interested, but want to know more?
Come along to the Homestay Information Session to learn more about what is involved in the program. Speak with experienced staff and hear from successful homestay families that are currently hosting. Details of the event are:
- When: Wednesday 4 May 2016
- Where: North Adelaide Community Centre – 176 Tynte Street, North Adelaide
- Time: 5.30pm – 6.30pm
- RSVP: to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 29 April 2016
Please visit the DECD website to complete an application form to register your interest.